Since we are in a brand new year, most people surely want to create change in their lifestyle too. This is why so many people are coming up with resolutions or goals to achieve for this year. However, the change doesn’t always have to come from our self sometimes it would be a great idea to promote change in the environment we are living in most particularly in our house. New Year is actually best time to do some renovation and improvements in your house. Are you looking for some tips when it comes to renovating your house? Well you’ve reached the right article because the next things that you will be reading are guidelines in renovating your house.
1. Inspect the whole house –
The first step that you should do is inspect the whole house and see areas that you want to improve, change or maintain. You should see if you want to change your kitchen or perhaps you are already contented with your bedroom so you must list down all these things. Seeing a complete list of areas you want to change will make it easier for you to start planning the renovation.
2. Ask interior designer’s point of view –
It would be great if you will consult first an interior designer. You should tell him or her about the things that you want to change in your house and ask for his or her opinion. It would be a big help hearing the opinions of the experts and since they are already exposed to house renovations for a long time they can give you tips and advices. Another great thing about talking to an interior designer is that you can also get tips where to get supplies and materials that you will use. Who knows you might get a good discount because of the connections of your interior designer.
3. Plan your budget –
We shall be practical and plan the budget ahead of time. It is not advisable to just start the renovation project without specific budget in mind. What will you do if the cost of renovation went beyond the money that you have? Well the best thing is allot a budget even before you talk to different people who will work on this renovation, tell them that you are willing to pay this amount and with this they will get an idea how far they could go.
4. Know the preferred payment arrangement of the contractor –
An advance payment may be needed to set off the renovation project. If you make prompt payment, the contractor or builder will put you in their priority list. But do not make complete payment before the work is done.
5. Make sure contracts are on print –
Read the contract and make sure you understand the terms and conditions before making agreements. Remember that once you sign a contract, it means you agree to what is stipulated there (whether you have read it or not)
6. Be hands-on –
It is a great attitude to watch the progress of renovation. You should be hands on and make sure to watch every move they do. This is important so you are sure that they are doing what you want for your house. You would not want to see a finish product which is far from your vision so if you don’t want this to happen make time to consult and see the progress.
7. Be careful in expressing your gratitude to the builder or contractor –
If you praise your contractor too much, the prices tend to go up, as the contractor would feel they are doing great. Point out even small mistakes. Act like a perfectionist, as that would increase chances of satisfaction in the end.
8. Home renovations mean workers have to get access to your house –
This poses some security risk. Although your contractor may assure you the workers they employ are trustworthy, be wary still, especially if you have to be at work away from home all day long. Keep rooms locked and keep valuable items inside safety drawers. Have your keys with you.
9. Do not hesitate to make suggestions or modifications even if an agreement has been made –
Some clients are hesitant. Do not be hesitant to point out even minor changes you wish to make. Remember you are still the one paying everything in the end.
10. Just before the renovation gets concluded, check the work –
Inspect the area to see mistakes, and then point out the mistakes to your contractor.
11. Oversee renovation project –
If you want to oversee the renovation project for an extended period of time, invest in safety gear like facial masks, gloves, eye protectors, and safety boots. People with respiratory ailments and allergies cannot stay on the site. Some contractors discourage clients to walk into the renovation area without safety gear.
12. Stay away from danger –
Never let kids near the area even between work schedules. Stray nails or sharp objects may cause unwanted injury.
13. Payment –
Once the work is completed, settle payment obligations.
Choosing a House Renovator Singapore
Choosing a home renovator is an important task and needs to be undertaken with as much seriousness as you have for your home renovation. The home renovator is the person who will actually materialise your vision and purpose.
The following are tips to select the best house renovator in Singapore:
1. Be aware of the fact that home renovation is not a completely mechanical process and has a lot of creativity involved. Try to evaluate the prospects for their creativity. You can always visit their website or ask for the portfolio of work they have done.
2. Home renovation is not a standard process and varies depending on your needs. The best renovator may not necessarily suit your needs.
3. Before you select someone for the home renovation, check for his/her credentials. You can also speak to some of the previous customers of the renovator. You can also get in touch with the renovators who have worked for any of your friends. Your friends can be the best source to check the credentials of the renovator.
4. See if the home renovator can visualise and appreciate your plan of renovation. Working with someone who is not comfortable with your design/idea may prove troublesome in the future.
With these house renovation ideas, it will be easier to successfully complete your renovation project without losing patience. You can get other ideas from your chosen renovator but make sure that they suit your budget. Do not rush while choosing the best renovator. It’s very crucial that you choose a contractor who is licenced, reliable and with good reputation.