Painting the external part of your house is highly important. The reason for this is because it helps to maintain and improve on the overall look of your home. This automatically translates to an increase in the value of your home. Painting the outside part of your home is something that should be given high priority. It is also best to ensure that the paint job is done immediately you conclude that the exterior walls require a fresh or new coat of paint. Delaying it would only give your house a poorly maintained look, and also exposes the exterior walls to the harsh external elements which can cause serious damage. In order to prevent all this, always ensure that the exterior painting is done at the appropriate time. Painting is one of the best ways of renovating your home as it provides an instant change in the overall look and is rather inexpensive. Therefore, it should never be postponed or ignored.
Is it the right time to paint the exterior part of my home? How often should i do it? These are some of the questions that home owners in Singapore ask on a frequent basis. The information presented below has managed to provide you with the appropriate answers to these questions.
How often are you required to paint the exterior part of your house?
It is impossible to answer this question in one single line. There are a number of factors which form the basis upon which the decision on how frequently the painting can be done is arrived at. Seen below are some of these factors.
1. Severity of the climate
– It is a leading factor when it comes to making your decision on how often and when the painting of the outside part of your house should be done.
– Everyone is fully aware that the climatic condition of Singapore is mainly tropical with hot summers.
– Throughout the monsoon period, Singapore receives a substantial amount of rainfall.
– The two key elements of the weather that damage the painting on the exterior part of your walls is the rain and the sun.
– The damage is usually evident when the paints starts peeling off.
– At this point you will more than likely see cracks begin to develop on your walls.
– You should therefore ensure that your walls a fresh coat of paint immediately the previous one begins to show signs of peeling off.
2. Preparations done on the previous painting job
– Before painting can commence, there are various preparations that should be done and which are highly important.
– It is important to ensure that the surface is well prepared before the painting begins.
– The surface preparation involves cleaning out of grease and dirt.
– You should also ensure that it is completely dry.
– The old paint should also be scraped off the walls.
– Other important steps included in the preparation stage and which are also important include; Caulking, sanding and the application of primer.
– It is important to ensure that all these steps are followed and executed in a professional and careful manner.
– Doing this will definitely result in a better paint job which will last for a good while.
– This goes to show that if you hire an expert painting company to do the job, you can be rest assured that you will not be required to paint on a regular basis.
3. The quality of the materials and paint used
– It is recommended to use good quality paint and all the necessary materials.
– The higher the quality the more capable it is to withstand the harsh weather conditions over a long period of time.
– If you choose to work with a low quality of paint which in most cases are usually less costly, you may be required to paint your exterior on a more frequent basis.
4. Number of painted coats
– Are you aware of the number of coats that were painted on your walls during your previous paint job?
– If it was only a single coat then it is more than likely that the paint will begin to peel off within a period of less than 12 months.
– It is best to apply as many coats as you can.
– This will help to ensure that the exterior part of your home maintains a new and appealing look for a long period of time.
– This can actually last anywhere between 5 to 7 years.
5. Material used on the exterior
– There are numerous types of materials that you can make use when constructing the exterior walls of your house.
– Some examples of these include; cement, cedar wood and wooden shingles to mention just but a few.
– The frequency at which you may be required to paint your exterior will depend on your choice of material.
– It has been noted that a good number of home owners in Singapore never pay much attention to any visible signs of disintegrating of the paint on the external.
– You should always ensure that you check on the state of your exterior walls on a regular basis.
– Even the slightest of changes should be dealt with appropriately.
– If you happen to come across a whitish tint, gently rub the paint off using your nails.
– If this action results in the flying of some chalk like residue, it is a clear indication that the exterior section of your house is in dire need of a new paint job.
– If you come across any peeling and cracking signs, you should immediately consult an expert or a reputable painting company to effectively deal with everything that is required when it comes to your exterior walls.
– Such reputable companies have the necessary experience coupled with the right equipment to give your walls a high quality paint job.
– With such results, your walls will not have to be painted on a regular basis as they will remain in a good condition for a good period of time.
– As a result, using a professional painting firm, will enable you save on time and money.
– The job will also be completed without you undergoing any kind of stress.